Tuesday, April 5, 2011

strange variety

Yesterday I looked at what I'd been making lately and thought what a strange little accumulation of forms this is.- Jars for holding large margarine tubs, small slab-built planters for succulents, and birdbaths.  Really no logical morphing from one shape to another going on here.  The jars and birdbaths are customer requests and the succulent planters are for me.
  The birdbaths were a challenge.  Raising my wheel so I can stand and throw solved some back pain problems, but when I need to throw larger than usual amounts of clay it seems more difficult than when I was sitting.  I used to be able to lean into the clay, almost getting my shoulder behind my hands.  That's impossible with my wheel up higher, although I try by standing on tip toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive