Tuesday, April 2, 2013

hello bowls


Empty Bowls is coming up this weekend- Saturday, April 6, from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM  at The First Congregational Church, 318 Front Street in Marietta.  I just unloaded the kiln this morning and have some pictures.  First, I'll share this link that's been making the rounds on a few other potter's blogs. It is a New York Times article that invites readers to submit a picture of their favorite bowl:
  The article is about an exhibition celebrating bowls in Portland, Oregon.  Here's a quote: “We don’t talk about the bowl because it’s completely this everyday thing,” said Namita Gupta Wiggers, director and chief curator of the Museum of Contemporary Craft in Portland, Ore. “We take it for granted. We know it too well.” 
Now that we all have elevated the status of bowls, here's a few pictures of some of mine:

A silent auction takes place during the Empty Bowls luncheon, so I made a few larger bowls for it.
 
Like I mentioned in my last post, I made some bowls in this chawan tea bowl style.  I like this shape very much, so will probably be making more to sell.

A little too much blue in this picture.  It's really more of a gray-green. There's some finger swipes of slip on some of these to show off the way this glaze highlights texture. 
 
Might have to keep this one.  It's a little smaller than the others, plus there's a little weirdness to it.  Sometimes when I have a pot on the wheel and I think I'm going to lose it, I'll experiment with it.  In this case I made the bowl much too thin an inch or so below the rim, so I folded the rim over and continued to make a pull or two with it folded down.
 Not exactly a mainstream-type bowl, but I think it has a nice feel.  Some bowls are made for holding and this is one of them.
 

3 comments:

  1. great bowls; are you mixing your own glazes these days? really like the glaze on the last one- and the shape too? rim looks fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, Thanks. Yes, I've always mixed my own glazes. Not that I've formulated my own- always used other's recipes other than messing around with the colorants. The glaze on the last one is Randy's Red inside and bottom with some Blue Hare variation on the collar part that I folded over. I haven't really gotten the hang of this Blue Hare glaze and thought I'd see how it worked where it overlapped the Randy's Red here and there. The Randy's Red, by the way, has this great coral-brown color on the inside of bowls- inside of anything. Strangely, it is a nondescript brown on the outside of vessels. I can really go on and on about glazes, can't I?

      Delete
  2. Blue Hare--- I wonder if that is close to Hare's Fur which I used at the studio I was a part of in Charlotte, NC. Yes, glazes seem to be in a whole world themselves! the weirder the pot, the better I tell myself some these days.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive