Monday, March 6, 2017

keeping your own work, and Miss Billy is on the table

In the midst of a framing/hanging and wall painting project I decided to find a place to hang a couple of my recent clay tiles with found wood pieces. This is something I rarely do.  I may keep a mug or bowl that has a small imperfection but not the best stuff.  A new experience!  It's nice to have something of my own that normally I would automatically price to sell.

I had eight prints that needed framing, some of which have been sitting in a closet for years. Others were framed but needed fresh mats, and there was that one frame I made in 1982 out of stock molding for one of my wood cut prints.  It needed to go. So I ordered the mats, ordered some of the frames and got to it.  Oh, and painted the fireplace wall charcoal gray. It ended up that I hung twenty pieces since I had to shuffle around most of the other artwork.
 
 The eagle scout badge on the lamp belonged to my dad.  The lamp was used at one time as a coffee grinder by my mother's family.  I find it somewhat humorous that my son now uses one of these for grinding his coffee.  I didn't know they were still being made.

On the left is one of the found wood/clay tile pieces and a print by George Longfellow.  The drawing, with credit given to Grant Wood, was made for the Cincinnati Enquirer to go, I believe, with an article on robotics. You might have to look close to see that the man and woman have robot-like heads. The right picture shows a serigraphy print I made way back when.

 The wonderful print above is by Debbie Dicks.  This picture, unfortunately, does not do it justice.  The photo to the left of it is of Ivin's grandparents, father and uncle on the boat which brought them to America.

Back to work.  I thought that framing/hanging/painting project would take three days but it ended up taking six, of course. 
Notice the chair- it can be adjusted for height, a Christmas present from Ivin.  I was sitting there to wax bisque ware bottoms.  So much more relaxing than standing!
The dark clay-mini butter churn shapes are prototypes for a local historical organization.  

And Miss Billy came to visit, hoping for an open container of water or glaze.  I think she has learned that the pot of iron oxide is not optimal for paw dipping.  I still have to make sure I cover the glazes when she's around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive